Wednesday, August 3, 2011

HW98 and HW77 receive Vortek KIt Install

Tom Gore owner of Vortek Products came by the shop recently.  While Tom was here, I tuned and installed a Vortek Kit into a customers HW98 .22cal.  Before install,  out of box gun was shooting 650 w/JSB 14.3, after install, gun shot at 725 w/JSB 14.3  Naturally the twang and vibration is gone.  Gun now has the typical all bang and no twang that I have found to be customary with the Vortek Kits.

Scoped my personal HW77 then Tom and I spent some time on the range.  This old HW77 has always been a great shooter, but now it's even better.  The transfer port was opened years ago, I don't remember how much.  We used Tom's Vortek Kit with the newer 25mm VAC Seal.  With the larger port opening Tom suggested a smaller gauge 120 wire he is using in some of his kits.  I'd say it was a good call, gun appears to have amazingly quick lock time.  Still shoots with good energy @ 870 fpe with a JSB 8.4 pellet, which equates to about 13.5 ft/lbs.  I would have been happy to achieve just 12 ft/lbs. I was really looking for smooth shooting and accuracy, and the HW77 did not disappoint.  Gun can be laid on a bag, held as light as possible and shoots consistently, it had the same point of impact for both Tom and myself.  Shot this group later in the day when the winds had calmed down.  50 yard group.  Not Bad for a springer with a 9x scope.

No comments:

Post a Comment